Re: [Xen-users] [Fwd: DomUs don't shutdown with cpu-pinning configured]

To: Xen User-List <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] [Fwd: DomUs don't shutdown with cpu-pinning configured]
From: "Fajar A. Nugraha" <fajar@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2009 20:49:51 +0700
Delivery-date: Tue, 30 Jun 2009 06:50:38 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 5:35 PM, Joern Bredereck<jb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> since pinning the cpu cores to Dom0 and the DomUs the shutdown of the
> VMs doesn't work anymore. When shutting down or rebooting a DomU the
> DomU just freezes after the shutdown process but won't reboot or stop
> the DomU. The shutdown itself seems to be complete though.

As I recall there were some problems related with cpu pin, which seems
to be version or distro-specific. Perhaps this is one of them.

> Some info about our setup:
>
> root@xen1:~# uname -a
> Linux xen1 2.6.24-24-xen #1 SMP Wed Apr 15 17:05:38 UTC 2009 x86_64
> GNU/Linux
>
> root@xen1:~# dpkg -l |grep xen
> ii  libxen3                                3.3.0-1ubuntu7~hardy1

> Any idea how to fix this issue?

One way is to not use Ubuntu :P
Another way is to try compiling Xen from source first. You should be
able to use either Ubuntu's/Debian's/Xen.org's kernel, whichever works
better for you.

I use RHEL boxes with RH's Xen 3.1 or Gitco's Xen 3.3.1 and 3.4, with
RH's kernel-xen. Cpu pin works fine on those systems.

--
Fajar