RE: [Xen-users] LVM partitions on PV domU

To: "Matthias Reif" <matthreif@xxxxxxxxx>, <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] LVM partitions on PV domU
From: Jeff Sturm <jeff.sturm@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2009 01:50:01 -0400
Delivery-date: Wed, 17 Jun 2009 22:52:03 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
The CentOS installers always expect disk images to be whole disks, not
partitions, and to do their own partitioning--i.e. this isn't really a
Xen question.  You can accomplish the storage layout you're after, but
not with the native CentOS installers.

The following EC2 page has instructions for installing Fedora to a
single root filesystem, but can easily be adapted to CentOS on multiple
volumes.  The key is preparing for a successful "yum --installroot=...
Groupinstall Base":

http://docs.amazonwebservices.com/AWSEC2/latest/DeveloperGuide/index.htm
l?ami-via-loopback.html

If you want to use multiple volumes instead of one (as in your
root/usr/var example below), create and mount each  (i.e. /mnt,
/mnt/usr, /mnt/var, etc.) before you begin your install.