Re: [Xen-users] migrating between different processors (intel/amd)

To: Xen User-List <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] migrating between different processors (intel/amd)
From: "Fajar A. Nugraha" <fajar@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2009 19:58:01 +0700
Delivery-date: Thu, 11 Jun 2009 05:58:57 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Thu, Jun 11, 2009 at 6:05 PM, James
Harper<james.harper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> We are looking at buying an additional server. Our current server is AMD
> based (low end - 1210 I think). The new one we have in mind can either
> be Intel (quad core) or AMD (dual core). The Intel CPU with the
> additional cores is probably better for performance (but more expensive
> obviously), while the AMD is more compatible with what we have (1214)

Any reason not to use AMD's quad core? Isn't Opteron 2378 cheaper than
Xeon E5504?

> I understand that migration between vastly different CPU's is not really
> possible unless you disable the features on the vcpu to the lowest
> common denominator (and even then?), but what about just shutting down
> the domain and then starting it on the other server? Does Windows get
> upset because it has a different CPU and suddenly demands to be
> reactivated?

I'd like to know about that as well, especially for Windows 2008.
We use Unix/Linux mostly, with some Windows 2003 servers here and
there. For Windows 2003, Volume Licensing should be able to take care
of activation problem
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/techinfo/overview/activation.mspx
"If your organization licenses Windows Server 2003 R2 through one of
the Microsoft volume licensing agreement programs, such as Open
License, Select License, or Enterprise Agreement, you are not required
to activate those licenses."
Since Open License  requires only 5 license minimum purchase, it
should be feasible for most purposes.

--
Fajar