[Xen-users] Grub errors on an LVM install?

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Grub errors on an LVM install?
From: Travis Bell <travisbell@xxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2009 10:34:31 -0600
Delivery-date: Wed, 10 Jun 2009 09:37:10 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hey guys,

I am officially mystified and am hoping there's something obvious I am missing.

Running CentOS 5.3 (2.6.18-128.1.10.el5xen) and Xen 3.4 and attempting to install a new guest via an LVM, the install gets all the way to the end but then I get the following error from the attempt of installing Grub:

               | Traceback (most recent call first):          ^ |
               |   File "/usr/lib/booty/bootloaderInfo.py",   # |
               | line 732, in writeGrub                       : |
               |     f = open(instRoot + cf, "w+")            : |
               |   File "/usr/lib/booty/bootloaderInfo.py",   : |
               | line 1204, in write                          : |
               |     justConfig | (not self.useGrubVal))      : |
               |   File "/usr/lib/anaconda/bootloader.py",    : |
               | line 207, in writeBootloader                 : |
               |     justConfigFile, anaconda.intf)           : |
               |   File "/usr/lib/anaconda/dispatch.py",      : |
               | line 201, in moveStep
                     rc = stepFunc(self.anaconda)             ^ |
               |   File "/usr/lib/anaconda/dispatch.py",      : |
               | line 124, in gotoNext                        : |
               |     self.moveStep()                          : |
               |   File "/usr/lib/anaconda/text.py", line     : |
               | 721, in run                                  : |
               |     anaconda.dispatch.gotoNext()             : |
               |   File "/usr/bin/anaconda", line 1006, in ?  : |
               |     anaconda.intf.run(anaconda)              : |
               | IOError: [Errno 30] Read-only file system:   # |
               | '/mnt/sysimage/boot/grub/grub.conf'            |

Now here's the thing. If I install using an image as the filesystem (and not the LVM), no problem ... install goes straight through to the end.

I am using the following virt-install:

virt-install -n web1 -r 4096 --vcpus=4 --os-variant=rhel5 -f /dev/ VolGroup00/web1 \
--nographics -l http://mirror.fdcservers.net/centos/5.3/os/x86_64

I am using all default options for the CentOS installation and get no other problems.

Is there anything you guys know that could steer me in the right direction? Google has been zero help, I think there was ONE other person who had this problem but his message was never replied to.

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,

--
Travis Bell