Re: [Xen-users] Boot problem: gave up waiting for root device or kernel

On Fri, Jun 5, 2009 at 3:06 PM, Paradox <paradox@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi
>
> The distro is an Ubuntu 8.10, compiled from sources.

OK. Next question. How did you build Xen?
Which kernel did you use? the one you just compiled, or Ubuntu's kernel?
What does the relevant part of your grub.conf looks like?

AFAIK Xen's 2.6.18.8 kernel supports ICH9 already :
http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-changelog/2008-11/msg00112.html
Most likely you're missing a module. Try running update-initramfs to
rebuild that kernel's version initrd (using verbose might also be
helpful). This is the command for Xen 3.4 on my Lenny

update-initramfs -v -k 2.6.18.8-xen -u

and from the verbose output I can see that it loads the necessary disk module
Adding module /lib/modules/2.6.18.8-xen/kernel/drivers/block/cciss.ko

in your case it's probably ata_piix.

--
Fajar