Re: [Xen-users] truecrypt & kernel 2.6.24

To: Xen User-List <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] truecrypt & kernel 2.6.24
From: "Fajar A. Nugraha" <fajar@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 2 Jun 2009 14:20:00 +0700
Delivery-date: Tue, 02 Jun 2009 00:20:40 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Tue, Jun 2, 2009 at 1:18 PM, Rudi Ahlers <rudiahlers@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Now, the CentOS repositories doesn't have 2.6.24, so do I have to
> build the kernel manually?

If your Centos version is new-enough (5.3) you should be able to
compile and use pv_ops kernel (e.g. latest 2.6.30 from kernel.org) on
domU. You also need to have NX enabled (disabled by default on my
BIOS) for it to work. Note that you'll be missing some of -xen kernel
features (like CPU hotplug. see
http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/XenParavirtOps)

I use Lenny's linux-image-2.6.26-2-xen-amd64 (converted to RPM using
alien) on some RHEL5 domUs when I need features only available on
newer kernel (like better fuse support). It needs some tweaking during
installation (like creating initrd manuall), but it works fine and I
have all -xen kernel features.

> And will there be any problems when doing
> so? I like to just run "yum update" when needed.

You won't get a usable kernel update with yum (since you'd be using
newer kernel already), but updates for other packages should continue
to work.

> Here's the output from the machine:
>
> Linux zaxen02.lan 2.6.18-92.1.18.el5xen #1 SMP Wed Nov 12 09:48:10 EST
> 2008 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

This is quite old. Centos 5.2? AFAIK support for pv_ops kernel is
available since 5.3.

--
Fajar