RE: [Xen-users] VMDQ / netchannel2 support?

To: T Johnson <tjohnson46@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] VMDQ / netchannel2 support?
From: "Fischer, Anna" <anna.fischer@xxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 May 2009 19:58:21 +0000
Accept-language: en-US
Acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: "xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Wed, 27 May 2009 12:59:50 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: [Xen-users] VMDQ / netchannel2 support?

> Hello,

> Did 3.4 come with vmdq, sr-iov, etc.. (netchannel2) support included? If so,
> is there any documentation available on how to make use of it?

No, it is not released yet. You have to build the development trees from
http://xenbits.xensource.com/ext/netchannel2/ if you want to try any of this.

> Also, these techniques seem like a good way to improve network performance on
> hardware that supports it, but for folks that want to use iptables and other
> network  management utilities from dom0, will it even be possible anymore
> since the NICs seem to go straight to domU?

At the moment you cannot do packet filtering when directly assigning VF or VMQ
to the guest as packet go directly to guest memory.