Re: [Xen-users] HVM to PARA

To: Xen User-List <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] HVM to PARA
From: "Fajar A. Nugraha" <fajar@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 May 2009 14:57:10 +0700
Delivery-date: Wed, 27 May 2009 00:58:41 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Wed, May 27, 2009 at 2:36 PM, Gian Mario <gianmario.mereu@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Is there any contraindication to convert a fully virtualized machine to
> a para-virtualized machine?

You can't use PV guest if your domU is using :
- devices which only works (correctly) in native installation or dom0
-  propietary binary-only drivers, which is not available for PV kernel.

> Is the conversion a fully transparent operation for VM's operating
> system (except for the installation of xen aware kernel)?

Transparent to applications, yes.
Transparent to OS, not exactly, as you probably need to adjust some
things (text console setup, loaded modules, etc). See
http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-users/2009-05/msg00536.html

On older x86 Linux you also need to adjust or replace glibc to use
only xen-friendly instructions. It's not necessary for 64bit or newer
Linux distros.

--
Fajar