[Xen-users] Bridging and Bonding

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Bridging and Bonding
From: Christopher Meiklejohn <cmeik@xxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 May 2009 10:58:07 -0400
Delivery-date: Wed, 20 May 2009 08:00:54 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I'm having some trouble getting bridging and bonding working in Ubuntu Hardy.  This is with the Xen kernel (appears to be happening with both, however.)

I've tried about 10 different configurations, and posted below is the latest.

auto br0
iface br0 inet static
address 10.0.1.27
gateway 10.0.1.1
network 10.0.0.0
netmask 255.255.0.0
pre-up /sbin/ifconfig eth0 up
pre-up /sbin/ifconfig eth1 up
pre-up /sbin/ifconfig bond0 up
pre-up /sbin/ifenslave bond0 eth0
pre-up /sbin/ifenslave bond0 eth1
pre-up /usr/sbin/brctl addbr br0
pre-up /usr/sbin/brctl addif br0 bond0
pre-up /usr/sbin/brctl stp br0 off
pre-up /usr/sbin/brctl setfd br0 0

When the system boots, it has no connectivity at all. If I remove the bridge and set the IP on bond0, then connectivity is fine. Bridging also works if I configure it for eth0 alone. So, in summary, both components work fine independently, but as soon as I put a bridge on bond0, I lose all connectivity.

Also, I've noticed that when the bridge is enabled, link protocol goes down (as seen on my Catalyst) on both eth interfaces.  When the bridge is removed, it comes back.  While it's reporting as down, mii-tool is reporting both as being link up, auto-negotiated.

I know this is a little off-topic, as this is Linux networking with the Xen kernel to allow my virtual machines to run.  I'm mainly looking to find someone else that might have encountered this while configuring Xen and solved the issue.

Thanks,
Chris