[Xen-users] Questions about VNC

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Questions about VNC
From: Thomas Stather <thomas.stather@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 06 May 2009 08:33:01 +0200
Delivery-date: Wed, 06 May 2009 13:22:50 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hello guys

I have a problem regarding VNC and Xen. I already googled, but found no useful answers.

Sys: Ubuntu 8.04
Xen : 3.3.0 (backported)
Arch: IA64

I enable VNC via the following argument

vfb = [ 'type=vnc,vncdisplay=1,vncpasswd=test,vnclisten=0.0.0.0' ]

and the VNCServer is spawned on port 5901. But when i configure my DomU like this:

vnc = 1
vncviewer = 1
sdl = 0
vnclisten = '0.0.0.0'

i get (when running xm create):
*
VNC= 1
Started domain hardy-compiler*

then the console hangs for about half a minute and then it shows:

*Alarm clock
*

What is this issue, is it a bug or just a misconfiguration by me?
And what does the command vncviewer do (i have Xen running under Ubuntu Server, so no X is available)?

Best regards

Thomas

--
Thomas Stather, Fraunhofer SIT