[Xen-users] Xen cLVM and iSCSI

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Xen cLVM and iSCSI
From: Barry van Someren <barry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 3 May 2009 12:32:43 +0200
Delivery-date: Sun, 03 May 2009 03:33:50 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi all,

First of all I'm just using the plain vanilla CentOS included Xen 3.1
to do my work.
I have 3 machines hooked up to a private network which provides access
to 1 Gbit networking and access to an Equallogic SAN providing iSCSI.
I've succesfully setup Xen to use this iSCSI device with LVM and can
happily run and migrate between machines.
However when setting up cLVM I just get bogged down with Redhat's
clustering so I've taken a look at what cLVM provides and decided not
to bother with it.
Especially since all it does is keep metadata consistent and allow
changes to be made from each node (it does not lock the LV's)
This mirrors the setups I've seen in books and some articles.

Basically what I intend to do:
-Have all the *.cfg's on a Rysnched folder
-Designate a master node from where all LVM actions are done
-One each LVM change, call a script on each slave to refresh the LVM metadata.

My only concern is that I'm wondering if LVM actually pre-allocates
the PE (Physical Extents) or allocates them as required.
The last thing would be bad (tm) as it would mean that data could get
randomly overwritten.

I've been running a bunch of machines in test and have noticed no problems.
Could somebody else share their experiences?

Thank you for any information you can share!

PS: I have considered the commercial version of Xen many times, but
I'd rather not start retooling at this point as everything is working
nicely

--
Barry van Someren