Re: [Xen-users] Provisioning question

To: Joe Hammerman <jhammerman@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Provisioning question
From: Bhasker C V <bhasker@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2009 10:55:39 +0100 (BST)
Cc: "xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Thu, 30 Apr 2009 01:54:36 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
You can install the OS in an LVM partition and
use it shared across all the xen domUs when you use the parition as 'r' instead of 'w' when defining the disk.

But you have to do all tasks needed for read-only root filesystem.
Like
 1. mount ramfs in /tmp and in /var ...

http://en.opensuse.org/How-To_Make_the_root_filesystem_read-only

this is what i do.

 I use 2 disks in Xen with one as read-only mounted as / and the other
 is the data partition. I have a need to have scratch partition with
 pre-populated data and for this I create a LV and put data into it
 (eg:- software etc.,) and then create a snapshot of this volume
 and send it as rw to the xen machine. This way my original software
 partitions are intact and also the changes (may be damaging) done in
 the xen volumes are lost once the snapshot grows to 100%.