Re: [Xen-users] Windows DomU on NAS

To: Pasi Kärkkäinen <pasik@xxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Windows DomU on NAS
From: David Miller <david3d@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2009 12:29:36 -0400
Cc: Chris Black <chrisb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Tue, 21 Apr 2009 09:30:21 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:received:in-reply-to:references :date:message-id:subject:from:to:cc:content-type; bh=gafz6WSrmiAxA4YdhKf+N07cawv1rTCCg5qcHO8Z7j4=; b=qCQXgcOvgwZnjNS9XO3V60XPW/GyIvwoPQE0bX2aygAEi/LzN9IsR9he1N2i2sdVSd gx+csnW1KPS3Hd/B/tXDgNPf1dWAhKzuimtcsxcXpG4LrsyKlU6EmNxVo7j3i+ZJcbXX Qp6htZ/6Z7SorlIDmWfH7myNkFDz1YnSKlrSU=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
You will need to run diskpart.exe in Windows to expand any filesystems once it sees the new size.
--
David

On Tue, Apr 21, 2009 at 12:22 PM, Pasi Kärkkäinen <pasik@xxxxxx> wrote:
On Tue, Apr 21, 2009 at 08:59:14AM -0700, Chris Black wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'd like to be able to create a windows DomU which is to be stored on
> a NAS (Equallogic) device.

Equallogic is SAN storage, not NAS.

NAS == file storage (SMB, CIFS, NFS).
SAN == block storage (iSCSI, FC)

> I was wondering if anyone has any best
> practices on how to do this? Is there a way to extend the DomU C drive
> once you create the initial device, etc? Any suggestions would be great.
>
> I have already tried this by just using a phy:/dev/path-to-iscsi-mount-
> point and it appears to be working great. But I'm unsure of how
> stable, performance problems, etc this would cause? I've also so far
> been unable to find a way to extend the drive if I add space to the
> volume on the Equallogic device.

After resizing the Equallogic iSCSI LUN on dom0 you need to shutdown the domU and
reboot it to see the new size.

Then you need to possibly re-partition the disk on domU, then resize the
filesystem on the partition etc.

-- Pasi