[Xen-users] Unable to create virtual systems

To: "xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-users] Unable to create virtual systems
From: GeoffSweet <geoff.sweet@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 11 Apr 2009 08:11:54 +0900
Accept-language: en-US, ko-KR
Acceptlanguage: en-US, ko-KR
Delivery-date: Fri, 10 Apr 2009 16:12:42 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Greetings all,
  I have spent the past couple days trying to get this to work and I have no
clue what is wrong.  I've read a lot of walk throughs but they all are either
regurgitated versions of the Xen wiki, or don't apply to what I am trying to do.

So here is my situation.

I have a Dell SC1435 with a 500G RAID system and running CentOS 5.3 64bit and
xen kernel.  I want to add some virtual machines to this system.

After a LOT of trial and error I moved away from the file based vbds due to
very bad io performance.  So I am trying to use the LVM-backed vbd option.
This is going nowhere for me and I can't figure out what the heck is wrong.

So I created a Volume Group called VG1 and its physical volume is about 400G in
size.

In VG1 I created my first Logical Volume called "web1".

I created an install script that has this:
###
kernel = "/boot/vmlinuz-xen-install"
ramdisk = "/boot/initrd-xen-install"
extra = "text ks=http://testwebserv/ks/minimal-ks.cfg";
name = "web1"
memory = "1024"
disk = [ 'phy:VG1/web1,sda1,w' ]
vif = [ 'bridge=xenbr0', ]
vcpus=1
on_reboot = 'destroy'
on_crash = 'destroy'
###

the KS file above lookes like this:

###
install
url --url http://mirror.centos.org/centos/5.3/os/i386/
lang en_US.UTF-8
network --device eth0 --bootproto dhcp
# Bogus password, change to something sensible!
rootpw --iscrypted $1$z.jhfLJ.$bHcj.p0yJUObTaqLKkn8G/
firewall --enabled --port=22
authconfig --enableshadow --enablemd5
selinux --enforcing
timezone --utc America/Los_Angeles
bootloader --location=mbr --driveorder=sda
# The following is the partition information you requested
# Note that any partitions you deleted are not expressed
# here so unless you clear all partitions first, this is
# not guaranteed to work
clearpart --all --drives=sda
part /boot --fstype ext3 --size=100 --ondisk=sda
part pv.2 --size=0 --grow --ondisk=sda
volgroup VG0 --pesize=32768 pv.2
logvol / --fstype ext3 --name=VG0_root --vgname=VG0 --size=1024 --grow
logvol swap --fstype swap --name=VG0_swap --vgname=VG0 --size=1000 --grow
--maxsize=2048
%packages
@editors
@text-internet
@core
@base
###

That exact same config works perfectly with a file based vbd.

Now I try "xm create web1" and connect to the console via "xm console web1".
No problem the installtion starts, runs and when it gets to creating the
partition layout, it craps out and says that the device defined in the
clearpart doesn't exist.  So I commented out all the partition information with
the intention of doing it manually.  Sure enough when I get to that point,
there arent any devices listed to install onto.

I decided to try a different approach and used virt-install with the following
command:

virt-install -r 1024 --file=/dev/VG1/web1 -v --cdrom=/dev/cdrom

That asks me some questions and seems to get started, but then just sorta goes
away.  If I attempt to console to it it hangs the session.

Can someone please offer me some advice about what I am doing wrong.  I would
really like to try to get this xen system running!

Thank you!
Geoff Sweet