[Xen-users] Time bugging, warping.

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Time bugging, warping.
From: Eric Windisch <eric@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 01:58:36 -0400
Delivery-date: Sun, 29 Mar 2009 23:00:00 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I know this isn't the first time that this has come up, but the other threads didn't seem to exactly match the description of my problem, and the suggestions for those situations don't seem applicable here...

I'm getting some major time warping with Xen 3.3.1 and Debian Lenny. For instance, the server will suddenly have some very far-off time set...

     rorschach# date
     Thu Apr  3 11:33:02 EDT 2302

I am running my self-compiled Xen using the hg kernel and sources from Xensource. I have modified include/asm-x86_64/mach-xen/irq_vectors.h to increase NR_DYNIRQS. I have another machine of the same hardware running Xen 3.2 and Debian Etch with a similar source modification, that machine has been stable. Here is the output of 'uname -a':

Linux rorschach 2.6.18.8-xen #3 SMP Sun Mar 8 23:38:44 EDT 2009 x86_64 GNU/Linux

I'm also getting messages such as:

Warning: time of day goes back (-8589934592000000us), taking countermeasures.

At times, these problems have locked me out of ssh and console logins ("exceeded 60 seconds" errors after login attempts completed in milliseconds), have created straightforward crashes and kernel oops, and every single time has required that I reboot the dom0.

I have not had the independent_wallclock set in the dom0 (I'm trying that now...), and my clocksource is set to 'jiffies' as appears to be default and has functioned properly on my Xen 3.2 hosts.

Any suggestions or thoughts are welcome.   Thank you.

--
Eric Windisch
GrokThis.net