Re: [Xen-users] Cluster (VPC), Eucalyptus and preferred distribution to

Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Cluster (VPC), Eucalyptus and preferred distribution to it.
From: Thomas Goirand <thomas@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 28 Mar 2009 15:01:37 +0800
Cc: Xen-user List <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Sat, 28 Mar 2009 00:02:26 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha1; c=relaxed; d=goirand.fr; h=message-id: date:from:mime-version:cc:subject:references:in-reply-to: content-type:content-transfer-encoding; q=dns/txt; s=postfix; bh= 8yRe5nWtNdR5UooB27mphyhBjrc=; b=YjnvLVP66g4e38yTr9GYyM9IkM5wl4T8 TkfLQ4sPd8buLFKxpQzG/XQEluP+TiXkqq+Hei5oFvmdksk3rihkfkPXAbmmRSI2 QLPKcF76uL0mGmGkyuhOaw3jwaf7ihWy9gfeWxHDbaE5Ino9mXPwnV9Wi4MHY6Uj hNA7gMM2Bwo=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Luke S Crawford wrote:
> Thomas Goirand <thomas@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>> By the way, I see no importance in the so-called "cloud". I know it goes
>> on the opposite way of the current fashion, but I strongly believe that
>> if you need power, then a cluster of REAL servers (eg: not virtual) is
>> obviously the way to go. If you don't need lot's of resources, then a
>> small VPS or 2 are enough. The number of times you will really need
>> scalability are so small, and even though, scalability can be achieved
>> without using could.
>
> How would you like to be able to move your VPS from one provider to another
> with a few clicks?

Can't you use rsync for that? Is using rsync THAT hard? I don't think,
by the way, that a hosting provider will give you in his interface tools
to ease the move out...

> If you single source anything, your vendor has a fiduciary duty to their
> shareholders to screw you.

Well, at GPLHost, we are fully auto-financed, fully self-owned. Why
would we have a duty to ourself to screw our customers? I think this is
quite the opposite, "our job is to help", as I always say. Weather the
customer is leaving or not... The above might apply to SOME provider, I
don't think it applies to all.

Thomas