Re: [Xen-users] Paravirtualized vs HVM - how big is the performance gap?

Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Paravirtualized vs HVM - how big is the performance gap?
From: "Ferreira, N. L. (Nuno)" <n.l.ferreira@xxxxx>
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2009 12:12:17 +0100
Cc: Xen-user List <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Fri, 27 Mar 2009 04:13:32 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Ok.
So go for a SL 4.7 installation, unless you really need the 4.3 one.

Good luck.

N.

P.S. It is from experience (and talknig with some sysadmins) that you are better off putting a dom0 with a SL OS. Go for a centOS, fedora or RHEL based one, and then build your SL machines on top.

Tim Edwards wrote:
Ferreira, N. L. (Nuno) wrote:
Hi Tim

I have a dom0 server running SL 5.1 (i386), and I was able to install a
SL 4.7 (i386) domU.
When you say virt-install command/libvirt do not allow, what are the
errors you are getting?

Cheers,
N.

I've looked into the virt-install command in more detail now. The
problem is that the SL4.3 installation tree has no images/xen/
directory, whereas more recent RHEL/SL 4.x (eg. 4.6, 4.7) do. The
virt-install expects to retrieve a vmlinuz and initrd.img from there.
(The error is "Invalid file location given: No such file or directory")

Tim Edwards

Nuno Ricardo Santos Loureiro da Silva Ferreira

NMR Spectroscopy Research Group
Bijvoet Center for Biomolecular Research
Utrecht University
Bloembergen gebouw
Padualaan 8, 3584 CH Utrecht
The Netherlands