Re: [Xen-users] VCPU amount

Hi Fajar

And BTW, are these domU HVM settings also applicable to a PV domU?
Cheers,
Nuno

Fajar A. Nugraha wrote:
On all domU config I use something like this
(relevant cpu settings for windows HVM)

vcpus=1
cpus="1-7"
cpu_cap=100
cpu_weight=128

it means I only use 1 vcpu, and it can be in cpu 1-7 (thus leaving
cpu0 for dom0 exclusive usage). This ensures dom0 can handle disk and
network requests for domUs at all times.

If you want to give some domU priority over another, adjust cpu_weight
as necessary.

Note that on Windows HVM you probably need GPLPV to have a usable
performance. However when using GPLPV,  I/O throughput with vcpus >1
is lower when compared to vcpus=1 (although it's still MUCH higher
compared to emulated QEMU drivers). So you see, adding vcpu does not
always mean higher performance.

You need to experiment and see which settings suit you best. Probably
vcpus=1 for db server and vcpus=6 for terminal server (that is
assuming your windows version can handle 6 cpus).

Regards,

Fajar

Nuno Ricardo Santos Loureiro da Silva Ferreira

NMR Spectroscopy Research Group
Bijvoet Center for Biomolecular Research
Utrecht University
Bloembergen gebouw
Padualaan 8, 3584 CH Utrecht
The Netherlands