[Xen-users] 32-on-64 and PVGRUB

To: xen-users <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-users] 32-on-64 and PVGRUB
From: Luke S Crawford <lsc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: 15 Mar 2009 16:39:58 -0400
Delivery-date: Sun, 15 Mar 2009 13:33:36 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
so it appears that PVGRUB requires that I specifiy (in my
domain config file) either the -x86_64  or the -x86_32
version.

Does anyone have a clever way I can let my users switch
between x86_64 and i386 without giving them access to
the domain config file?  Preferably, something more secure
than PyGRUB?

I was considering hacking up PyGRUB so that it  only
allows the user a choice of PVGRUB 32 and 64, but that
would make things more complex, and I'm not sure how much
more secure that would be (over just using PyGRUB.)

Other than that, I like PVGRUB-  I can have it boot
to a menu.lst on a read-only partition, so it is impossibe
for a user to mess up the menu.lst to the point they
can't get into the rescue image, then I have it default
to re-calling PVGRUB with the user's menu.lst.