Re: [Xen-users] Re: Xen and gnu gpl

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Re: Xen and gnu gpl
From: Mark Williamson <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2009 02:09:03 +0000
Cc: Thomas Goirand <thomas@xxxxxxxxxx>, Miles Fidelman <mfidelman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Mon, 09 Mar 2009 19:09:43 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Monday 09 March 2009 23:23:49 Thomas Goirand wrote:
> Miles Fidelman wrote:
> > Thomas Goirand wrote:
> >>
> >> Any idea what differences between the open source and the closed source
> >> version ? Why did they do such thing ?
> >
> > So they can make a living.

Well, that's part of it but Thomas is right in suspecting it's a bit more
complicated.

Much of the user-facing "value add" from buying XenServer is that it has
better management tools, either for a single server or for managing a cluster.
They *could* get that by building on top of the APIs provided by the existing
Xend.

> That I could guess, but I was wondering about the technical reasons ...

I'm not too clear on the specifics, sadly :-(

For Xend:
One simple reason could be that the codebase of Xend is not understood by many
people - it is a fairly complex piece of code in its own right and was largely
written by external contributors.  Another possible reason is that they may
have wanted to add features that could not easily be added to the existing
Xend architecture.

Finally, they may have just wanted to create a "better" Xend for purchasers of
their software, as well as providing a better management interface, etc.

For XenStored:
Again, they may have wanted to add some kind of feature they didn't want in
the OSS Xenstored (I think their Xenstored was required for the proprietary PV
drivers for Windows to work, for instance).  Their Xenstored apparently also
handles certain operations better, which makes it harder for malicious domains
to abuse.

For both:
The rewrite of Xenstored and - I assume - Xend was in Ocaml, rather than
Python.  Ocaml brings certain benefits (static typing, compilation, etc) over
Python (which has benefits of its own).  Presumably they felt that Ocaml was a
better language for this task.  Perhaps the programmers also had higher
familiarity with it and were therefore able to produce better code more
quickly.

Anyhow, that's my speculation on the matter.  I don't know the details but I
doubt that there is *that* much difference between the two.  Much of XenServer
*could* probably have been built on top of the existing Xend / Xenstored and
these are all the technical / business reasons I can think of that they didn't
do that.

They've Open Sourced the Ocaml Xenstored recently, so perhaps it will make its
way into OSS Xen.

Cheers,
Mark