[Xen-users] W2K8 online migration delays guest execution 45-50 seconds

To: <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-users] W2K8 online migration delays guest execution 45-50 seconds
From: "Roger Cruz" <rcruz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 9 Mar 2009 20:16:04 -0400
Delivery-date: Mon, 09 Mar 2009 17:17:09 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I’m experiencing a problem with XenEnterprise migration for a Windows 2008 server VM where a large % of the time I notice a 45-50 sec delay after the VM has been migrated to the other side.  I’m wondering if anyone in this list is using XenEnterprise and has tried W2k8 migrations.

Thanks in advance.

W2K8 online migration delays guest execution 45-50 seconds

Click to edit this message...

Edit

Click to reply to this thread

I have installed XenEnterprise 5.0.0 with HF1 and I have a W2K8 HVM with 1GB, iSCSI 24-GB disk. 90% of the time, after I perform an online migration, I see my test application "freeze" for 45-50 secs. When I say freeze, I mean they don't advance BUT the guest is running because I can open up the C disk and see its contents. I can also move the application's windows around. Windows time is also frozen but after the 45-50 sec delay, it catches up in one big jump.

For a test application, I'm doing a simple "ping <somehost ip> -t" and "timeout 1000" in another dos window. Once the VM is migrated to the other host, those DOS windows will be frozen in their activity, but I can move the windows around and open up the disk, so the VM is not completely hung. The PV drivers have obviously been installed (needed in order to do migration).

I'm at a loss to explain what this delay is all about. After the 45-50s delay, everything is fine and I can migrate back to the original host.

Thanks for any help.
Roger

Roger Cruz

Principal SW Engineer