Re: [Xen-users] How (not) to destroy a PostgreSQL db in domU on powerfa

On Thu, Mar 5, 2009 at 6:57 AM, Matthieu Patou
<mat+Informatique.xen@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> But are we sure that it cames from XFS ?

not exactly; in general, the XFS reliability approach is to do
everything right, but if anything else fails, the whole filesystem can
be destroyed with the excuse that "it's your fault".

in this case it might be LVM or Xen, i have no idea.  remember that
even if XFS over LVM is a well-known case, LVM on a file on XFS isn't.

but other Xen setups, using ext3, or (better) block devices do work
very reliably on big production setups, so even if Xen doesn't meet
XFS requirements, it certainly is usable.

> In fact it could be quite interesting (but a bit time consuming) to have a
> normal linux installation with XFS and postgresql and stress it a little bit
> (otherwise I guess that you won't face the problem) and meanwhile unplug it.
> And do the same with XFS + LVM.
> And one more test with XEN+XFS in domU+postgresql in domU.

sounds like a plan, but also repeat the Xen tests with imagefiles on
XFS, ext3, and block devices.

--
Javier