Re: [Xen-users] What storage system to use for xen? img or phy lvm

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] What storage system to use for xen? img or phy lvm
From: "Tom Jensen" <tom.jensen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 2 Mar 2009 13:25:30 -0600 (CST)
Delivery-date: Mon, 02 Mar 2009 11:26:37 -0800
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha1; c=relaxed; d=digitaltoolbox-inc.com; h= message-id:in-reply-to:references:date:subject:from:to :mime-version:content-type:content-transfer-encoding; s=mail; bh=R99M5ME6N5G/R0SDXN72jaoM198=; b=QU9Q9KLJaeYiEJhTSGqulH+SGg+O /AaKqrp4xRtdJXDezf9jHgecwfNrNh98VGk0agXC7Mxps+wEjpATD4uoa7SHfH+6 WH3QyH+Ik7GMd/azOEKaK09zKn7CbrODh6KK4HifgXg9bakXWQHmUpFt8njUjdoh RTBpTSwnZGeI0gk=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> I was wondering if img's are a lot slower then using  lvm on dom0
> partition?
> The domU will be handling web site and mail servers.

I used to run img files at first.  For several reasons, I switched to
using LVM on Dom0.  The first was the ease of resizing partitions later as
needed.  Another was the option to do snapshot backups from the logical
volumes.

Although I haven't done any quantitative testing, it feels as though it is
quicker using LVM.

I am using paravirtualized Linux DomU's on a Debian based Dom0 OS.
Similar to your setup, my machines primarily operate as mail servers, web
server, DNS, and ftp server.