Re: [Xen-users] xen-on-xen

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] xen-on-xen
From: Steven Maresca <steve.maresca@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 2 Mar 2009 08:16:34 -0500
Delivery-date: Mon, 02 Mar 2009 05:17:16 -0800
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:sender:received:date :x-google-sender-auth:message-id:subject:from:to:content-type :content-transfer-encoding; bh=3YK5UoQwbU/TkiGohlyazAjzX9Bh8rmRYtDk2vvvOIA=; b=PtkKwxc5AELvBId+zKpplgcVw3UGLXACS2wD2Cg/1+wN81h98tWARXYWv4fEThyT1l H9QibReT+pxeL5NVqd4H0kISh3A/pz4dRVMv59g1qM/7PqB7E2VIYlY8/sKhaIp4j44v fy9zUyGWbbAxWhIW/m6h928f7mQW4E7pa64N0=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
James Harper wrote:

>I use a xen box to do test restores of customer backups to validate that
>the backed up data is actually enough to rebuild their servers from.
>This works really really well for restoring one or more physical
>machines and a workstation or two.
>
>We now have a few customers actually using xen on their own networks, so
>I am now faced with a new problem of how best to restore them...
>
>Being able to run Xen on top of Xen would solve that... is there a way?

You can certainly slap xen into a linux (HVM) domain, installing dom0
as you normally might for your chosen distribution. This is the only
possibility for 'nested' xen-on-xen virtualization.

Caveats: It is usually god-awful slow, partly mitigated via PV drivers
in the 'child' dom0.  You are limited to running paravirt domUs within
this child. I would not suggest such a configuration for anything
other than experimentation/development.

-s