Re: [Xen-users] I want to know if.....

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] I want to know if.....
From: Javier Guerra Giraldez <javier@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2009 00:27:24 -0500
Cc: Thomas Goirand <thomas@xxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Thu, 26 Feb 2009 21:27:46 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Thomas Goirand wrote:
> It seems like KVM developers and other folks hate Xen, and spit on it as
> much as they can. I don't understand why, but that's really not right.

hope it's just the typical 'loud minority' and not the real developers.
judging from the kvm-devel list (where i also lurk), i think the attitude is
of mutual respect but distance.  not too different from the usual attitude here
towards KVM.

> I have seen a stupid blog entry saying things like "Xen will never be a
> part of the Kernel", as if the userland tools for KVM would.

haven't read that one (and doesn't sound like some good reading), but i guess
it refers to the Xen hypervisor itself, which isn't part of the kernel and
shouldn't be.

> Now, RedHat may do whatever they want, I don't really care.

RedHat bought Qumranet, getting not only the core KVM developers, but also the
proprietary display protocol.  judging from past RedHat acquisitions (remember
Sistina?), i hope they'll open all of this.  maybe it will get into qemu as an
alternative to the embedded VNC server.  if we believe the hype, it would be
vastly more efficient, maybe on par with NX.

now that's an some benefit to Xen that might come out of RedHat's move.

--
Javier