Re: [Xen-users] About virtualization, xen and kvm.

Subject: Re: [Xen-users] About virtualization, xen and kvm.
From: Thomas Goirand <thomas@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2009 20:10:01 +0800
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Tue, 24 Feb 2009 04:10:55 -0800
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha1; c=relaxed; d=goirand.fr; h=message-id: date:from:mime-version:cc:subject:references:in-reply-to: content-type:content-transfer-encoding; q=dns/txt; s=postfix; bh= fhy9v5ssgV0HsObxL//C8wJSv34=; b=bG/Ogy/JgmdMoK/Q9YnNwr2AtyfqYro7 ySzzv4oYaJNhbimmrXzAlM+9D/8xpok5hm4dNHLB+OkdI6ibF9aimH39N44XFtho 3DZmnEPL+8+cIxDQr2qnuOWoRfnc0upErXyNTJQMF2Jb2iYN3Cd7JJXpwCDtG/U3 37ALji0tUkQ=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Patrick Archibal wrote:
> 4 - Can you tell me why kvm is best or xen is best in enterprise.
>
> In my understand, in the future, kvm is in good position because the
> developpment is integrated in the kernel.

This is what people working on KVM are trying to let us believe, but
this is not truth. There IS a LOT of work, so that Xen dom0 support is
integrated in the kernel.org kernel. People from Xen like Ian Prat said
last summer they were aiming at kernel 2.6.28, now they are pushing so
that the future 2.6.29 integrates dom0 support (in both 32 and 64 bits).
Even if they miss the 2.6.29 deadline, the 2.6.30 might be reached (each
kernel release are made approximatively each 3 months).

> Also, i feel xen progress
> because firms like citrix contribute but it's seems there is no big
> update since few years.

Not really. Look a bit more in the dev. list of Xen, and you will see
that so many people are contributing. For example from HP, Fujitsu and
others.

> My vision is xen is best for production environnement because it takes
> advantages of minimal hypervisor code while kvm must be install with the
> kernel.

Sorry, but this is quite wrong as well. The very best advantage of KVM
is that it's directly in the kernel, so it goes faster. Under Xen, when
a userland tool wants to access some hardware, it has to do userland ->
hypervisor -> dom0 driver, while in KVM the hypervisor stage is skipped.
But that is luckily not all, and Xen is in many ways better and faster,
as much as I have tested.

> Also, it seems, performance will be better in kvm with virtio. Can we
> use virtio with xen ?

That I'm not sure. Is it what I just wrote above?

Thomas