Re: [Xen-users] domU does not fully boot

Subject: Re: [Xen-users] domU does not fully boot
From: Thomas Goirand <thomas@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2009 19:04:25 +0800
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Thu, 12 Feb 2009 03:05:10 -0800
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha1; c=relaxed; d=goirand.fr; h=message-id: date:from:mime-version:cc:subject:references:in-reply-to: content-type:content-transfer-encoding; q=dns/txt; s=postfix; bh= S6atuFK0zzZRRYPvFr6WEjz2MOw=; b=WHgafGo/bXyJbl+r49J3JFOzIjrc5GF0 0Awr1erv8AUrvfQmsUIizkFCGOZzcRvXCPlWKx1JBLZfGyYpI4urPpkO3k/a+MCq 2IJzCAWMBjRCHtwfpXObmG8eyne74lznAXdONx8S78xJo1n2qruFN3mehOtSegyh PPcoHLQMjnI=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Jon Rafkind wrote:
> Here is the console from domU:
>

>  ***************************************************************
>  ***************************************************************
>  ** WARNING: Currently emulating unsupported memory accesses  **
>  **          in /lib/tls glibc libraries. The emulation is    **
>  **          slow. To ensure full performance you should      **
>  **          install a 'xen-friendly' (nosegneg) version of   **
>  **          the library, or disable tls support by executing **
>  **          the following as root:                           **
>  **          mv /lib/tls /lib/tls.disabled                    **
>  ** Offending process: modprobe (pid=663)                     **
>  ***************************************************************
>  ***************************************************************
>
> Continuing...

It might only be that you don't have a VPS physical console, and that
your VPS is fully booted, but you can't see it. There are few things to
check.

First, check that your VPS has a "console" device in /dev. Mount your
domU filesystem in the dom0, go in /dev and do:

/dev/MAKEDEV console

If you are using a modern Xen kernel and hypervisor, you should check
the parameters of the startup file. Check that it has the following option:

extra = "4 TERM=xterm xencons=tty console=tty1"

Then start your VPS and watch it booting. Note that once it's booted up,
you should check that it has a xen friendly libc6 installed (in Debian,
you would do "apt-get install libc6-xen").

I hope that helps.

Thomas