Re: [Xen-users] Oracle 10/11g under Xen

To: Mark Walkom <markwalkom@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Oracle 10/11g under Xen
From: John Haxby <john.haxby@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 06 Feb 2009 14:40:34 +0000
Cc: xen-users <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Fri, 06 Feb 2009 06:41:29 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Mark Walkom wrote:
Has anyone done this and can offer some war stories?

I'm thinking of virtualising our applications, which consist of a backend software package and then an Oracle DB that it interacts with it, but I am not sure how well Xen would handle it. I'd probably be looking at Debian as a base install as Solaris is still a little too difficult to get running under Xen (that I can see).

Oracle has Oracle VM and has an increasing number of apps certified for it. It's also free and you get to keep your Oracle support :-)

Oracle VM is basically Xen 3.1.4 and it's a relatively small download. You can also download images for quite a few apps to try out.

(I know I'm biased, but really, if you're thinking of going down the virtualisation route and looking at Xen then you really ought to be at least aware of Oracle VM.)

jch