Re: [Xen-users] I'm looking for the right distribution to run Xen

To: Marc <xen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] I'm looking for the right distribution to run Xen
From: "Fajar A. Nugraha" <fajar@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2009 20:40:39 +0700
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Wed, 04 Feb 2009 05:42:53 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Wed, Feb 4, 2009 at 8:21 PM, Marc <xen@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> we'll start virtualization with Xen in our company and we're looking for the
> right distribution. The most important Servers in DomUs are working with a
> MS OS (Win2000/2003/2008).

> I need a distribution to run fast and stable Windows Servers.

That line alone might make Xen that you know (i.e. downloaded from
xen.org, or bundled in a Linux distro) irrelevant. Seriously.

Depending on how you define "fast and stable" (I assume you also mean
"supported"?), it might be best to simply use Windows Server 2008 with
hyper-v. Next down the "supported" line would be the lineup of
commercial products like VMWare ESX, Citrix XenServer, or Virtual
Iron.

With that out of the way ...

> It should be
> easy to do the daily administration job for an experienced Linux system
> administrator. The distribution should support the hardware in an HP
> ProLiant ML350 G5 (Intel Xeon) with Raid 5 and shouldn't waste hardware
> performance.

I use RHEL5 (Centos will also do) with (on most servers) bundled Xen
and (on some servers) Xen 3.3.1 from Gitco. All provisioning using
command line, without any special xen management GUI. You might want
to try virt-manager (bundled) or convirt for GUI though.

For Windows domUs I use Xen PV Driver
(http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/XenWindowsGplPv). Note that it
comes with NO commercial support whatsoever, so if support is your
main concern see the list of commercial virtualization solutions I
listed above.

Regards,

Fajar