RE: [Xen-users] Workaround for pcifront issues

To: Glen Eustace <geustace@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] Workaround for pcifront issues
From: "Fischer, Anna" <anna.fischer@xxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2009 07:42:33 +0000
Accept-language: en-US
Acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: "xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Tue, 03 Feb 2009 23:44:23 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: [Xen-users] Workaround for pcifront issues
>
> I have just started to try to achieve pci passthru for a BomU so that I
> can use the host secondary ethernet interfaces directly.
>
> I am running 3.3.1 on Centos5.2 with std packages.
>
> I have detached the card from the host using pciback but have hit an
> issue with trying to get the DomU to pick it up, it wants both 01:01.0
> and 01:01.1 even though they are totally different cards.
>
> It seems that this issue has arisen somewhere between 3.1 and 3.3, to
> do
> with VT-d patches.  I am not using VT-d, is there a work around that
> doesn't involve applying kernel or xen patches on either Do0mU or DomU.

Yes, I have seen this as well, and I think it has to do with how the system
supports Function Level Reset (FLR), see
http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-devel/2008-07/msg00626.html. Your
cards probably are behind the same PCI bridge. If you don't care about the FLR
functionality, then you could remove the checks for this in
tools/python/xen/xend/server/pciif.py - you just need to recompile the Xen
tools in Dom0, but no kernel changes. This is a hack though rather than a good
solution :( I am not sure if there are any other drawbacks for doing this.