RE: [Xen-users] storage question

We have another one of these NFS servers that we do the backups to (rysnc) and the performance is such that we can't have more than two servers backing up to it as the same time. So I doubt putting a dozen VM servers (or even Xen servers for that matter) will do very well. We are seeing about 20MB/sec throughput.

Writes and random i/o to devices like that will always be bad, but on the other hand, you could probably make a compelling argument *to* use one depending on the use case. If all you're doing is low-end web serving, I bet the setup would be fine, as much as the idea of serving root filesystems off of NFS irks me. At any rate, you can likely build a better-performing NFS box out of commodity components for less money.

John

--
John Madden
Sr. UNIX Systems Engineer