Re: [Xen-users] Distributed xen or cluster?

To: xen-users <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Distributed xen or cluster?
From: "lists@xxxxxxxxxxxx" <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2009 12:15:53 -0600
Delivery-date: Wed, 21 Jan 2009 10:16:31 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> During migration, the longest process is copying domU's memory. In
> general it'd be as fast as your dom0's link. For example, on my test,
> migrating a Linux PV with 500MB memory using 100Mbps link between dom0s
> took about 48s. During most of this time domU can keep on doing its job

Most of my guests are using 1024MB of memory. A minute or two of down time is
not the worst thing, not great but better than having to copy everything over
to another server, set up the guest, fire it up from scratch, etc.

That would be fine until something better comes along. Everything I have is
using 1GB Ethernet so should be able to get some good migration speeds.

So how does this work, you have a standby vm server which is already aware of
the guest then, and the migration transfers the memory over to that other
server.

Mike