Re: [Xen-users] Distributed xen or cluster?

To: <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, "xen-users" <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Distributed xen or cluster?
From: "Nick Couchman" <Nick.Couchman@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2009 08:25:25 -0700
Delivery-date: Wed, 21 Jan 2009 07:26:21 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
FWIW, I've had much better success with OCFS2's fencing methods than with GFS.  My OCFS2 nodes, when they lose connectivity to the rest of the cluster, automatically reboot themselves - I'm guessing there's some kernel code in there for that.  I don't need dedicated fencing devices or anything like that - OCFS2 takes care of that for me.

Also, I'd say the overall point is that there's no "magic bullet" that's going to knock out all of your redundancy concerns at the same time.  Xen will take care of some of that by allowing you to create multiple domUs that share the same data and let you live migrate those domUs from system to system, or restart them quickly and easily if one of your nodes fails.  There are plenty of good solutions for setting this functionality up quickly.  You still have to deal with redundant TCP and UDP connections to the services that these domUs provide, and that's completely outside of the realm of Xen or any virtualization technology - that has to be done inside the domU O/S, just like physical systems.

-Nick

>>> "lists@xxxxxxxxxxxx" lists@xxxxxxxxxxxx> 2009/01/20 22:51 >>

Anyhow, yes, I had been using GFS for about 3 years I think now. I slowly started going more towards filer based NFS because the fencing issues were becoming rather frustrating.

This e-mail may contain confidential and privileged material for the sole use of the intended recipient. If this email is not intended for you, or you are not responsible for the delivery of this message to the intended recipient, please note that this message may contain SEAKR Engineering (SEAKR) Privileged/Proprietary Information. In such a case, you are strictly prohibited from downloading, photocopying, distributing or otherwise using this message, its contents or attachments in any way. If you have received this message in error, please notify us immediately by replying to this e-mail and delete the message from your mailbox. Information contained in this message that does not relate to the business of SEAKR is neither endorsed by nor attributable to SEAKR.