Re: [Xen-users] Limited number of phy disks?

To: Dustin Henning <Dustin.Henning@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Limited number of phy disks?
From: Pasi Kärkkäinen <pasik@xxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2009 19:50:22 +0200
Delivery-date: Mon, 19 Jan 2009 09:51:11 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Mon, Jan 19, 2009 at 12:34:15PM -0500, Dustin Henning wrote:
> OK, that post puts me in the minority, and I haven???t searched
> or tested to verify this, but I thought the only problem with
> SCSI emulation in Xen on HVMs was that the QEMU BIOS wouldn???t boot to a
> SCSI drive.
> My understanding is that the drives will be emulated, but you would
> need drivers for them in order to use them.  I would also go as far as
> to swear up and down that I have seen SCSI drivers for Xen HVMs more than
> once (once they weren???t for HDs, but I think they were the other time).
> Regardless, emulating SCSI shouldn't provide any performance increase once
> using PV drivers anyway.

Yep, PV drivers are the best choise.

I just meant that if you're not able to use PV drivers for some reason then
emulated SCSI should be faster than emulated IDE.

If Qemu BIOS can't boot from SCSI drives then that's obviously a problem..
and leaves IDE as an only choise HVM guests (without PV drivers).

-- Pasi