Re: [Xen-users] Have to log in to start vino and guests

To: xen-users <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Have to log in to start vino and guests
From: "Fajar A. Nugraha" <fajar@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2009 05:17:36 +0700
Delivery-date: Fri, 16 Jan 2009 14:23:38 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Sat, Jan 17, 2009 at 4:04 AM, lists@xxxxxxxxxxxx <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Installed CentOS with xen, have linux guests working fine.
> However, in the services, I don't see the vino desktop service, only vnc.
>
> When I restart the server, vino and the guests

Do you mean vino ON the guest?

>never restart until I log into the desktop and I can't seem to figure out why.
>I know it's because, or at least, seems to be because the services are only
>starting once I log in but of course, I need them to start immediately.

This is more of a RHEL/CentOS issue then Xen. Anyway, what do you need
it for? The solution might be different depending on your requirement.

Vino is started by gnome-session, thus it's only available after a
user logs in. You CAN setup gdm/kdm to automatically login as a user
everytime it starts, but I don't think this is what you want.

If you need vnc access to your guests (e.g. to monitor its startup
process), both HVM and PV domU can have a framebuffer or "GUI console"
that is accessible via vnc. The thing is you have to access dom0's IP
address instead of domU's. A faster, text-only console is also
available, but it's not accessible via vnc.

A third alternative is to setup vnc (not vino) service on domU.
Depending on how you set it ip, this would usually be the equivalent
of Windows Terminal Service instead of a console.

Which of the three do you need?