RE: [Xen-users] VMware guests to xen

To: 'Xen Users' <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] VMware guests to xen
From: "Joseph L. Casale" <JCasale@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2009 14:52:11 -0700
Accept-language: en-US
Acceptlanguage: en-US
Delivery-date: Fri, 16 Jan 2009 13:53:20 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>Some of them are win based and most are linux. I am more interested in moving
>the linux boxes than the win ones. All of the guests are using SCSI which
>seems to be the default in VMware Server 2.0 at >least. Most have CDROM as
>well.

Mike,
For windows, unless you use an answer file to *explicitly* not install an IDE
driver, it will have it and boot fine. I just did a slew of them and actually
ghosted them out and in (actually multicast) so it was fast. You may have to
change the HAL let me know if you need help, check the bsod # to determine this
if needed.

For Linux, you simply need to reconfigure your initrd to have the appropriate
module ide module if it doesn't and make it boot of that and the xen kernel.
Check your fstab etc...

Configs are easy to do by hand.

jlc