Re: [Xen-users] Solaris dom0, prebuilt domU?

On Sat, Jan 10, 2009 at 12:22:45PM +0500, Mike Kazantsev wrote:
> Michael Jinks <mjinks@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > But I'm not sure how to do that (Can I just dd it into a
> > zfs volume?  Surely not?)
>
> That's really just a loopback image with an ext3/reiserfs or xfs, you
> can mount it in a usual way, just like an ISO or initrd image:

I could, if Solaris had support for mounting ext3, reiserfs, or xfs. ;)

> > and once I solve that problem, how do I
> > create the xml config file that virt-install would create automatically
> > if I were booting from an ISO image?
>
> Sorry, but I'm completely unfamiliar with solaris virt-install utility,
> but it's name suggests installing, while you have (or can easily
> create otherwise) a working rootfs - there's no need to "install"
> anything at all, so prehaps it's just not the right tool for the task.
>
> While native OS tools are probably made to ease the maintenance, you
> can always write configuration file by hand (or use one from jailtime
> tarball), then use xen-tools to create domU from it.

Unfortunately the Xen configs on Solaris look completely different from
the way it works on a Linux dom0.  So the jailtime .cfg file is useless
unless I have a way to convert its contents to Sun's .xml format.
Setting up that file is one of the things virt-install does, but I've
only been able to get virt-install to work on a Solaris domU, and
haven't been able to find docs which describe the format of that config
file so that I could hand-roll my own (or what to do with it once I had
it).

virt-install also handles setting up the initial disk image and booting
the guest OS for the first time, and is zfs-aware, all of which make it
more than just a scaffold for doing things you could do just as easily
by hand.  I haven't found any docs which describe how to do what
virt-install does without virt-install.