[Xen-users] [XEN 3.3 - PCI passthrough] - interaction latencies with /de

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] [XEN 3.3 - PCI passthrough] - interaction latencies with /dev/ttyUSB0
From: "jer jer" <jeremie.garcia.trash@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2009 15:29:57 +0100
Delivery-date: Fri, 09 Jan 2009 06:31:19 -0800
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to :subject:mime-version:content-type; bh=XRvkifQOsazGV5DVFONyL89Sl3f4sBv5QcSrMmq3CVs=; b=B+VW6y5G/U7cTtQhct7blQYxEdxKf38jBXHXBVM8hQF7V3yXSYHs42FH7teMWUDZ7t asgtVYwULgwJ5+dxRerAOwMy9s2ti7MhhwDIneHbEfJGY/GJCkngfjYoyGb+Yhu6oFzR LhN+CxUfd3EEe/8eK1QEIA0uwndsD3xJutmPs=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi everybody!
I'm a pretty new XEN user (3.3) and I need your help on a weird situation.
In fact I cannot conclude if it could be a XEN problem or not. So I hope you will be able to guide me.
You will find below what my project is and as you guess ...the problem!

OBJECTIVE :
===========
   - validate XEN solution for potential projects
   - setup a paravirtualized environment
   - embedd on a domU, software interacting with a USB connected desktop RFID reader

ENVIRONMENT :
=============
   - XEN 3.3
   - paravirtualized environment
   - dom0 : linux 2.6.24-19-xen (ubuntu) installed with no graphical interface
   - domU : linux 2.6.24-19-xen (ubuntu) installed with gnome and vncserver
   - PCI passthrough to dedicate all USB controllers to the single domU
   - domU is installed in a file-backed VBDs

BASIC RESULT:
=============
   - dom0 and domU boots well
   - PCI passthrough works
   - system is stable
   - on domU, lsusb shows the device connected

USB DEVICE :
============
   - RFID desktop reader (STID)
   - serial communication ("/dev/ttyUSB0) 9600 8 n 2
   - very short instructions sent and received asynchronously (5 bytes) ; minimum system stress...

EMBEDDED SOFTWARE :
===================
   - very basic test software that polls the device for an event
   - if event detected, send a sound instruction to the device
   - communication with the device is done via the serial dev file "/dev/ttyUSB0"
   - tested on non virtualized environment : no latency on execution and test succeeds

PROBLEM :
=========
   - running the soft from the console (xm console) without GUI introduces hudge execution latencies
   - if we connect our appliance from a remote PC via vncviewer, gnome is displayed and run the same soft from an Xterm makes the execution much more faster
     and coud almost be compared to non-virtualized environment perfs.
   - Note that I've tried to connect via SSH without and then with X exporting, and latencies are still noticed
   - it seems that latencies are only seen when interacting with the device
   - Finally, we do not want to embedd any window manager such as gnome/KDE for footprints concerns
   - soft have been written in C and JAVA but results are the same

HELPPPPP:
=========
As you see, it is a very strange problem and I can't find out who's responsible for that :
   - is it a XEN problem?
   - is it a console problem?
   - is it a PCI passthrough problem?
   - does gnome/vnc introduces implicits optimizations?

Furthermore, in order to find some clues:
   - can you confirm me that XEN 3.3 does not support USB2.0 (not really needed here ...)
   - I often have a system crash connecting USB mass storage devices (even dom0 get frozen) ; is it a known bug? I haven't found anything on forums.
   - based on what I've read (and test) I cannot use newer XEN kernels if I want to keep PCI passthrough working
   - are there some "best practices" to optimize USB passthrough

I've process a lot of diff, compare, readings and I have to tell you I've no more idea to solve this silly problem. Any help is thus welcomed!!

Thanks a lot for your help!

Cordially,
Jérémie