Re: [Xen-users] Mounting Xen LVM Guests

Eredicator X wrote on Wed, 7 Jan 2009 17:26:24 +0900 (JST):

> My true end goal is to clone a guest, make a script that mounts it
> changes some parameters like IP and Users etc. Unmounts it and starts
> it. Simple down and dirty provisioning.

Then you want to go with filesystems on Dom0 partitions (LVM volumes just
being partitions in this regard). Install your "template machine" to a
file, tweak everything you want, create a LV with filesystem, then rsync
(with --numeric-ids) the contents of that VM (while it is running) to it,
adjust files (grub.conf, fstab maybe others) at the new location (you can
mount it now without problems) and you've got your new VM template ready.
When you want to create new VMs, create new LV, create fs, tunefs and then
copy over the content from the template and adjust it. Template VM is
offline all the time and only needs to be started in case you want to
update it or change something.

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany