[Xen-users] dom0 using only a single CPU (networking)

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] dom0 using only a single CPU (networking)
From: fabi.a169@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2008 22:31:54 +0100
Delivery-date: Fri, 19 Dec 2008 13:32:56 -0800
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to :subject:mime-version:content-type; bh=FCdEzBsO4yEgwIUAWuisrDRTmS4Yrj85SB2EvhPISA4=; b=ck0Ce2u/ODQVxdzMJlH2imv+S6YM/eCVAhjCCtU7hzvExtjferCijvjGX54Eshc2r4 84EBvRc0CGYUePVYFg7mChgnqNwkzRl8AKr2Cu6QQmXo/YaWUfrs98kaVeK0duxfZoLQ J4rr2WjN+gBfJNB8wmT6jOuB8nc13omJ3kfoU=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hello,

I'm using a server with 10Gbps network interfaces and 4 CPUs, running several domUs. The problem is that in this setup, with high network load, dom0 turns out to be the bottleneck, using only a single CPU which is saturated and 100%. So the network speed is bounded to much less than 10Gbps. How could I make dom0 use more CPUs in parallel ? I checked my VCPU setup; i have 4 VCPUs running assigned to dom0. For other kinds of programms running in dom0 user space, they are used.
Could the problem be that the dom0 kernel uses a single thread for all the network forwarding and so can use only one CPU at a time ?

If you have any idea, thank you for sharing your experience.

Regards
Fabi