[Xen-users] GPLPV (9.11pre20) in Win2003 x64 on XenServer Enterprise 5.

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] GPLPV (9.11pre20) in Win2003 x64 on XenServer Enterprise 5.0 (CD drive missing)
From: Roel Broersma <roel@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2008 04:38:47 -0800 (PST)
Delivery-date: Wed, 17 Dec 2008 08:33:20 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hello,

Introduction
------------
I'm introducing myself since it's my first post here.
My name is Roel Broersma and my company is using Xenserver 5.0, we're using
Xenserver since it was from Xensource. Nowadays it's Citrix and we have
several expensive licenses, paid support and are Citrix certified (Silver
Solution Advisor).  However, we're experiencing a lot of problems last
months and Support (India) is getting worse...  ("Hello sir, please upload a
server-bug-report, the developers will investigate", but mostly it's  "we
couldn't find anything" ).
That's why we're moving more and more to complete Open Source.

Problem
-------
We were having major problems with one of our Windows 2003 Server R2 x64
(standard) system with Ipswitch Imail server.   There were a lot of
'connection resets'  and connections broken suddenly with the SMTP protocol.
These problems came after upgrading the Xen (pv-tools) from 4.0.1 to 4.1
(even the 4.1 beta already had thse problems).  In Xenserver 5.0, we still
got the problems.  I think it had to do with TCP Checksum / offload, etc.
We tried everything but couldn't fix it (setting the windows registry,
using ethtool -K ... on the Xenserver, etc.) I also saw the errors on from a
Windows Command prompt on this machine, typing: "netstat -e".

That's why we finally moved to the GPLPV drivers (9.11pre20).
I can say:  THESE DRIVERS ROCK!   All our problems are gone!
When i type "netstat -e"  i don't see any errors anymore and we've no more
complaining customers about broken POP3 sessions (from Outlook) or messages
which couldn't be send (using SMTP).
These drivers are really fast too!

However, we are missing the CD drive in Windows.  When i boot windows
without the GPLPV drivers, i see the CD drive again...  (i already checked
Drive Manager and did a rescan for new drives but it isn't there...   In
Xenserver 5.0  we have 2 VBD's,  a HDA and a HDD  (the HDD is the cd
drive)).

It's also not possible to hot-plug a network interface or Harddisk drive,
(even after doing a new-hardware-scan or "rescan disks").  Hotplugging is
not a real issue for us.. but the missing CD drive is.

Real question ;)