Re: [Xen-users] Understanding sparse-files

To: <john.haxby@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Understanding sparse-files
From: "Nick Couchman" <Nick.Couchman@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2008 08:02:49 -0700
Cc: Florian.Rustedt@xxxxxxxxxxx, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Tue, 16 Dec 2008 07:03:43 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
The over-committed disk space can also be a double-edged sword.  While it allows you to commit disk space you don't actually have, if you're creating a lot of domUs with a lot of sparse disk files, you can easily lose track of how much data you actually do have on the filesystem vs. how much disk space you've allocated.  So, if you have a 10 GB filesystem, and you create 4 x 5GB sparse files, it doesn't take much use of each of those sparse files to run out that 10GB without realizing what you've done.  It is a pro, but you have to make sure that you're somehow keeping track of how much disk space you're actually using.  If you pre-allocate the disk files, you'll know fairly easily from the df command when your filesystem is close to capacity or completely out of space.

-Nick