RE: [Xen-users] HVM Cpu performance 3.2 - Windows XP

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] HVM Cpu performance 3.2 - Windows XP
From: "Oliver Wilcock" <oliver@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2008 12:28:58 -0500 (EST)
Delivery-date: Thu, 11 Dec 2008 09:29:44 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> What Drivers are you using, the GLPV or the Novell drivers??

I have used the GPLPV.  The problem is evident with or without the /GPLPV
boot.ini option and I'm pretty sure it is evident during a fresh
installation.

During boot from the install CD / DVD I watched two different behaviours
with xm top.

With Windows XP Pro while the boot loader does its thing, there is high
CPU usage but only one CPU (ie. not more than 100% used).  The installer
then initializes the windows kernel and at this point the CPU usage jumps
above 100% and typically stays there.

With Windows Server 2003 R2 (32 bit) while the boot loader does its thing,
there is high CPU usage but only one CPU (ie. not more than 100%).  The
installer then initializes the windows kernel and at this point the CPU
usage drops and behaves in a rational manner.