Re: [Xen-users] Help with PAE xen kernel install

To: "Jeff Harr" <jharr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Help with PAE xen kernel install
From: "Rudi Ahlers" <rudiahlers@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2008 17:50:59 +0200
Delivery-date: Wed, 03 Dec 2008 07:51:37 -0800
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to :subject:cc:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type :content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition:references; bh=0Jy/XdSNMg2I0dLUEAA+tAz71N+N3ajT/iDGjTD/WX8=; b=VdfCh+n38+ffwpEbkIrCIMXQYZzWOmy7U3jS5NAVfpiqJxIbZArJK3gJWXMiPJp/Xa 1UWE3g/65/wn9Lp47ZmLNtItUKS9b2z67t8qn8bCNy3I4spDjUUfJZIeGpQ2rLnxka3T ffv5Co+qgqXAbP3nLUGhfLyxiXicyAHy3AiRs=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Wed, Dec 3, 2008 at 5:16 PM, Jeff Harr <jharr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi all.  This is my first time using this list, and I could really use your
> help.
>
> What I have:
> CentOS 5.2, 32-bit
> 4 processors, 24 gig ram
>
> What I have been unable to do:
> Find and install a PAE version of the Xen kernel.
>
> Before I installed Xen (via Yum) I had a perfectly working PAE kernel which
> saw all my memory.  Now, I have the following kernel installed:
> 2.6.18-92.1.18.el5xen
>
> Right now, I really don't want to install by source.
>
> Thank you all very much for any help,
> Jeff

If I'm not mistaken, the new XEN kernels have PAE built-in already.

How do you know your memory isn't reporting correctly? How much RAM
does dmesg, top & xm top show respectively?

I know there was a problem with grub, which needed to be recompiled if
you added more RAM, or changed the kernel before it would see more
than 3GB RAM. Maybe this is what you need todo?

I don't know if this bug is still a problem,

Take a look at this:
http://blog.softdux.com/everything-todo-with-linux/help-centos-51-xen-kernel-doesnt-see-all-the-ram-in-my-pc.html

It might help?

--