[Xen-users] Running Intrepid as domU on Hardy as dom0

To: <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-users] Running Intrepid as domU on Hardy as dom0
From: Andreas Dahlen <andreas@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2008 19:41:53 +0100
Delivery-date: Thu, 20 Nov 2008 10:42:34 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi!

I’m trying to run Ubuntu Intrepid as a Xen domU on Ubuntu Hardy as dom0.

Hardy –xen kernel works fine as domU. As I understand it the server (or virtual) kernel in Intrepid  should work as domU?

When I try to start a domU with the Intrepid kernel I get the following error;

Error: (2, 'Invalid kernel', 'xc_dom_find_loader: no loader found\n')

I think that it has to do with the format of the kernel files, but I don’t know how to solve it.
file command on the kernels shows the following;

# file vmlinuz-2.6.27-7-server
vmlinuz-2.6.27-7-server: Linux kernel x86 boot executable RO-rootFS, root_dev 0x801, swap_dev 0x2, Normal VGA

# file vmlinuz-2.6.24-21-xen
vmlinuz-2.6.24-21-xen: gzip compressed data, from Unix, last modified: Wed Oct 22 03:08:12 2008, max compression

How to get a vmlinuz for Intrepid that is gzip compressed and bootable?

/Andreas