Re: [Xen-users] Where to install Xen?

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Where to install Xen?
From: jonr@xxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2008 12:09:59 -0900
Delivery-date: Tue, 18 Nov 2008 13:11:28 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Quoting don rhummy <donrhummy@xxxxxxxxx>:

I have two main partitions on the computer: root and home. Home changes the size of free space a lot more often and is much more likely to run out of space. So, I have a few questions on different options:

1. If I install Xen on "root" partition, is that a security risk?
2. Can I create a new partition with part of "root" and part of "home"?
3. How much room does Xen require? And does it have problems running on certain types of partitions?

Thanks!

1. It is only as safe as you make it. I usually install in /opt/. According to the FHS that is where add-on applications should be installed. Try to never install anything in the / directory if possible. For a good look at what "should" go where, look at this: http://tldp.org/LDP/Linux-Filesystem-Hierarchy/html/index.html

2. Not without some pain if you have already installed and used all available space. If you used LVM and have free space according to vgdisplay then you can create an LV and install it there.

3.
a. It needs enough room for xen itself and the kernel plus a few utilities it downloads and to build. Be safe, give it enough.

  b. None that I have heard of.

Hope that helps,

Jon