RE: [Xen-users] GPLPV (9.11pre20) in Win2003 x64 on XenServerEnterprise

To: "Roel Broersma" <roel@xxxxxxxxxx>, <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] GPLPV (9.11pre20) in Win2003 x64 on XenServerEnterprise 5.0 (CD drive missing)
From: "James Harper" <james.harper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2008 13:20:07 +1100
Delivery-date: Fri, 14 Nov 2008 18:20:47 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> That's why we finally moved to the GPLPV drivers (9.11pre20).
> I can say:  THESE DRIVERS ROCK!   All our problems are gone!
> When i type "netstat -e"  i don't see any errors anymore and we've no
more
> complaining customers about broken POP3 sessions (from Outlook) or
> messages
> which couldn't be send (using SMTP).
> These drivers are really fast too!

Thanks for the feedback. I'm only using the Open Sourced version of xen,
so that's all I've tested with. I'm a little surprised (but pleased)
that it works at all under XenSource - I hope you tested on a test
machine first :)

> However, we are missing the CD drive in Windows.  When i boot windows
> without the GPLPV drivers, i see the CD drive again...  (i already
checked
> Drive Manager and did a rescan for new drives but it isn't there...
In
> Xenserver 5.0  we have 2 VBD's,  a HDA and a HDD  (the HDD is the cd
> drive)).
>
> It's also not possible to hot-plug a network interface or Harddisk
drive,
> (even after doing a new-hardware-scan or "rescan disks").  Hotplugging
is
> not a real issue for us.. but the missing CD drive is.

Hot adding of network and disk devices has worked at various points
along the way, at least under the Open Sourced version of Xen. The
interaction between the various Xen device states and the Windows
devices states is complicated :)

I can't test it right now as my test box keeps BSoD-ing. I think I did
something stupid with ntfs-3g while trying to resurrect it :(

> Real question ;)
> --------------
> Is there any way to get the CD drive working in a Windows2003 guest
with
> GPLPV drivers on Xenserver 5.0 ?

I did fix a bug in (I think) 0.9.12-pre2 which was affecting DVD-sized
cd/dvd images. That would cause the CD drive to appear but fail to read
though, which doesn't sound like the problem you are having.

I'm not sure if all of these commands are available under the XenSource
version, but:

. send me the output of 'xenstore-ls /local/domain/<id>/device'
(substitute <id> for the domain id of the domain in question)
. In device manager, you should see one 'Xen Block Device Driver'
adapter per device (disk or cdrom). For each one, can you tell me the
value of 'Device Instance Id' in the Properties -> Details tab?
. send me a copy of your DomU config
. if you know how to use the windows debugger, connect that to the DomU
and send me the output. If you don't know, then just the above stuff
might be sufficient to get started - it may be that the XenSource
version does things a little differently for CDROM's or something which
I might be able to tell immediately.

Thanks

James