Re: [Xen-users] Block level domU backup

> > Yeah, pausing a domain does nothing to its disks from the domU's OS's
> > point of view.  A pause freezes everything in memory, but commits nothing
> > that's in domU's filesystem buffers and whatnot to disk -- the whole
> > point is to not disrupt the OS.  If you block-level back up a paused
> > domain, the restored filesystem will be corrupted.  Given your existing
> > backup from within the domU, I don't believe you're gaining anything
> > here.
>
> the point of pausing the DomU is to get hold of a snapshot of memory
> state, as well as the block device(s).  when restoring, the DomU would
> return to the 'same' moment it was when paused.  both the disk and CPU
> would get back in time.

...And?  ...If his backup of domU happens while paused, he's still got an
incomplete filesystem.

Why not sent a `kill -STOP` to your mysqld, back up its files, restore the
files somewhere else, and try to bring up mysql cleanly?  This is essentially
what you're doing with a domU pause.

John

--
John Madden