Re: [Xen-users] xen domU backups

To: James Pifer <jep@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] xen domU backups
From: Luke S Crawford <lsc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: 14 Oct 2008 21:40:33 -0400
Cc: Xen List <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Tue, 14 Oct 2008 18:41:33 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Do you need to pause, make backup, un-pause?

I've been thinking about this for my setup.  I was thinking about
doing an 'xm save'  copying the save file, then taking an lvm snapshot
(my backing store is lvm)  then doing an 'xm restore' and backing up the
lvm snapshot with an ionice'd dd, then removing the lvm snapshot before
backing up the next DomU.     Now I haven't actually tried this in
production yet, but it seems to work on my test box, and I think it would
give me a consistant backup with only the downtime required by 'xm save'

Now, lvm snapshots are pretty expensive, but eh, backups are important, and
ram is cheap.