Re: [Xen-users] DomU stops booting

To: Thomas <iamkenzo@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] DomU stops booting
From: "Todd Deshane" <deshantm@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2008 21:46:31 -0400
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Sun, 12 Oct 2008 18:47:13 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:reply-to :to:subject:cc:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type :content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition:references; bh=1+9ZfkYvDbRRuObaMm6a3DCv++rhFtGPvDCCF1+h0hY=; b=L2A+zxG7hlCgVh1GKUn1F+zSKvt4UZsIDvRwVucQnGJAWzcgAU7eyxD4UD2UVTUM+L ej5fqHHoPS4aMkjLiiNmeyG6kKIOW+SyYsWE1xiESHu4OZfWgPQ36uT06Ir20oai7aWA Gbs7T57ZC0zlTyfoJdqLBLs7jLeyWu3KbQfSY=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Sun, Oct 12, 2008 at 7:40 AM, Thomas <iamkenzo@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> How can such a stupid problem still exist in 2008? Can't Xen handle
> some kind of misconfiguration detection? I remember struggling for
> days just because I had to change 1 character or 1 word in my Xen
> configuration files, that's not a very good selling point. Moreover
> from one version to another, the configuration file can also
> completely fail.

This particular problem is not a xen one, it is distribution and also
kernel specific.

The distros (if they do a good job), make the appropriate changes
in their xen-related packages before they ship.

Different kernels use different virtual consoles, so based on the
kernel version different consoles need to be setup. This is also
handled by distros as they ship.

For those that compile their own, they should expect to have
to do some customizations for their setup. This list has
always been a good place to ask questions and learn from
those that have the experience.

When Xen support hits the mainline Linux kernel, hopefully
things like consoles will stabilize/standardize. Until that
point, people can come to this list and/or search places
like xen.markmail.org for help/solutions.

If you feel that there is a better solution, you should suggest
the appropriate patches on xen-devel.

Cheers,
Todd

--